What if My Carbon Monoxide Detector Goes Off?

Fire Pros Inc.Fire SafetyWhat if My Carbon Monoxide Detector Goes Off?

Carbon Monoxide Alarm InstallationYou can’t see, smell, or taste carbon monoxide. Fortunately, we can help you find the best carbon monoxide detector for your home or commercial building.

We understand that your family’s safety is a priority, which is why we encourage you to install carbon monoxide detectors (as well as smoke detectors) on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas. Continue reading to learn what you should do if your CO detector sounds an alarm.

Get Outside

Never ignore a carbon monoxide alarm. Carbon monoxide detectors approved by the Underwriters Laboratory will only go off once the concentration of carbon monoxide reaches 70 ppm (parts per million).

Once the alarm sounds, your first priority should be to safely evacuate all people and pets out of the building. We always recommend that families practice what they should do in the event of a carbon monoxide leak, fire, or other emergency. That way, you and your family will be prepared.

Call 911

Once you leave the house, don’t go back for any reason. Call 911 and wait for help. Your local fire department will be able to enter your home and find the source of the leak.

Carbon monoxide can leak from household appliances (like furnaces) when fuels aren’t completely burned. For this reason, it’s important you schedule maintenance for heating and cooling systems. HVAC contractors check for carbon monoxide leaks during routine maintenance.

It’ll take some time for the carbon monoxide in your home to dissipate. First responders may open windows and doors to help the carbon monoxide leave your home faster. Your carbon monoxide detector will only stop the alarm once CO is no longer present.

Visit the Emergency Room

More than 20,000 Americans visit the ER each year for carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If you’ve been exposed to even small amounts of carbon monoxide, you should visit your local ER as soon as possible.

One of the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is a headache. Other symptoms may mimic the flu, making carbon monoxide leaks harder to detect without an alarm.

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Dull headache
  • Dizziness or weakness
  • Flu-like symptoms
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

If you recognize any of the above symptoms, visit your local ER as soon as possible. Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are likely to show up first in children, the elderly, and pets. We highly encourage homeowners install carbon monoxide alarms so they can prevent illness or even death. The less carbon monoxide you breathe the better chance you’ll have of making a full recovery.

Tell Your Loved Ones

Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a tragedy before people realize they need carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. If you’ve installed carbon monoxide detectors in your home, urge your loved ones to do the same.

Our fire protection contractors can help you find the best carbon monoxide detector for your home or commercial building. To learn more about our fire protection services, call Fire Pros Inc. at 1-800-968-2871.