5 Carbon Monoxide Facts Everyone Should Know

Fire Pros Inc.Fire Safety5 Carbon Monoxide Facts Everyone Should Know

Are you prepared for a carbon monoxide leak? If undetected, carbon monoxide can build up inside your commercial building until it reaches deadly levels for both animals and humans. If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your commercial building, please call an experienced Grand Rapids fire protection company as soon as possible for the safety of both you and your employees.

You can’t smell, see, or taste carbon monoxide.

If there is a carbon monoxide leak in your commercial building, you won’t be able to tell unless there is a reaction from your carbon monoxide detector. This is why it’s important to contact a professional fire protection contractor for carbon monoxide detector installation and maintenance.

Carbon monoxide can be deadly.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by breathing in carbon monoxide, which blocks the body’s absorption of oxygen. If you or someone you know has carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 and seek emergency medical treatment.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:

  • Dizziness
  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain

Many of the symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those for the flu. If there has been a recent carbon monoxide leak in your building, do not dismiss any of these symptoms. Go to the hospital to receive medical care. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur during variable lengths of time.

Depending on the severity of the leak, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen over a short or long period of time. This is why you need to make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are always in working order. A small leak may go undetected for a while, creating health risks for you and your employees.

Carbon monoxide isn’t just produced from fires.

It’s a common misconception that carbon monoxide is only produced by fires. In reality, carbon monoxide leaks can come from many possible sources. For example, carbon monoxide can build up when fuel is burned by cars, trucks, stoves, or furnaces.

Hiring a reputable fire protection company can help prevent carbon monoxide leaks.

To prevent the health risks associated with undetected carbon monoxide leaks, it’s important to make sure you invest in fire safety prevention measures. Most buildings already have carbon monoxide detectors installed. However, it is important to make sure these devices are tested regularly to ensure they are in working order in case of an emergency.

If you are interested in any of our fire protection services and products, please feel free to call our licensed Grand Rapids fire protection contractors at 1-800-968-2871. Fire Pros, Inc. is dedicated to helping customers keep their commercial buildings safe from carbon monoxide leaks.